This post is also available in: German
Looking for the perfect pair of women’s hiking pants? Check out our buyer’s guide, plus tips for choosing the right hiking pants for you.
As someone who’s hiked for over 20 years, who’s curvy and doesn’t have the stick-thin shape that so many hiking pants are designed to fit, I understand the struggle to find the perfect pair of pants.
Not to worry, I’ve got you covered. Here are my top choices of hiking pants for women for every type of hike.
Best Overall Women’s Hiking Pants
I continue to purchase The North Face hiking pants for how comfortable these are. These feature an ultra-comfy herringbone fabric with four-way stretch making them great for all body types. The stretchy fabric is also durable. Plus, they're water-repellent! These have a stretchy internal drawstring allowing you to adjust the fit.
- 2x2 wide rib-knit soft waistband and a drawstring at the waist for a comfy fit
- FlashDry technology is moisture resistant and has a Durable Water-Repellent (DWR) finish making it water-resistant and breathable fabric.
- Designed with a standard, leg-skimming fit and wide waistband
- Made from recycled nylon fabric
Fjallraven Abisko Trekking T has a curved fit with a high, accentuated waist. Made in stretch fabric and G-1000 Eco for that great fit and durability. A well-fitting, durable classic for maximum freedom of movement on any hiking trip.
- The leg endings have a new design that is easier to adjust and repair.
- Equipped with large pockets and generous ventilation openings along the thighs and calves
- Has a great attachment zone for suspenders
Best Women’s Convertible Hiking Pants
In my opinion, the best women’s hiking pants are always convertible ones. It’s the #1 key feature I look for. I love the flexibility and knowing I’m covered even if the weather changes without having to bring shorts. I especially love them for multiday hikes like the Tour du Mont Blanc.
I love that these Outdoor Research hiking pants have UPF 50+ and are both water and wind-resistant and quick drying. That makes them super practical, probably why Outdoor Resarch is one of my favorite brands for hiking clothing.
- UPF 50+ Protection and Movement-Mirroring Stretch
- Water Resistant, Breathable, and Lightweight
- Wind Resistant and Quick Drying
- Zip-Off Legs and Internal Waist Drawcord
The Columbia Saturday Trail Convertible Pant was made for women like me who tend to spill their lunch all over themselves. Thankfully their stain resistant. Made of a soft nylon and elastane fabric, these pants are lightweight and durable. And of course, I love the roll-up leg feature that goes from pants to capris.
- Columbia offers women's outdoor pants in multiple colors, sizes, and inseams.
- Made with a combination of water and stain repellency and UPF 50 to help block UVA and UVB sun rays.
- Made of a soft nylon and elastane fabric for comfort
- Two side pockets with hook and loop closure for easy access
Best Plus Size Hiking Pants
It wasn’t too many years ago that women’s hiking pants only came in small sizes. Plus size hiking pants were extremely difficult to find. Fortunately that’s FINALLY changed, as brands have recognized that women of all body shapes and sizes hike.
Available in Sizes to 3X-Large, the North FaceWomen's Plus Aphrodite 2.) hiking pants are soooo comfy! With their drawstring closure, a touch of stretch, plus drawcords at the waist and ankles, they fit a variety of body types.
- Quck drying thanks to FlashDry technology that helps keep you dry and comfortable.
- Stretch drawcord at the leg openings gives you the flexibility to adjust the height for a custom fit. 17" leg opening.
- 2x2 wide rib-knit waistband gives you flexible comfort.
I love that these hiking pants are available up to a size 24 plus - acknowledging that women of all body shapes hike, not just skinny ones! These feature a two-way stretch for mobility and comfort.
- StormRepel DWR water-resistant finish that repels moisture keeping you dry.
- FreeShade 50+ UPF sun protection.
- Available in a choice of different colors.
- Slightly Curvy fit for a flattering fit.
These plus-size hiking pants are versatile, and the roll-up legs convert from pant to capris. They're comfy and are perfect for easy hikes and other light outdoor adventures.
- Omni-Shade UPF 30 Sun Protection to protect your skin from harmful rays.
- Made from a durable textured nylon poplin, they provide coverage and comfort.
- Feature Omni-Wick moisture to wick sweat away, keeping you dry and comfortable
Best Women’s Hiking Pants for Hot Weather
These Mountain Hardwear D are your regular hiking pants BUT SO MUCH BETTER. These Dynama pants keep you protected in hot weather! The UPF 50 filter fabric construction and anti-odor fabric, and PFC-free DWR finish repel water to keep you dry and comfortable. I mean, they did a great job during my remote wildlife experience in Malaysia, I felt the heat but was still very comfortable while hiking.
- Sun protected from harsh UV rays with UPF 50 filter fabric construction.
- These are made with stretchy materials that are water-repellent and have odor-resistant properties.
- Fat and wide low-profile waist design for all-day comfort and flattering fit with a pull-on closure
Related Reading: Women’s Hiking Gear
- 18 Best Hiking Shoes for Women For Happy Trails
- Best Hiking Boots for Women
- 14 Best Hiking Sandals for Women
- The Best Hiking Leggings for Women: Thermal, Pockets and More
- The Best Women’s Clothes for Hiking
- The Best Hiking Jackets for Men and Women
Best Softshell Pant for Alpine Adventures
The Arc’teryx Beta AR pants are simply perfect for snowy adventures. These have to be the most all-weather pair of hiking pants I own. The softshell material is highly water-resistant and quick to dry, which I loved when I was hiking the German Alps a couple of winters back.
GORE-TEX three-layer construction delivers complete weather protection
- Keprotec instep patches provide superior protection against damage by boots, crampons, and ski edges
- Side zippers stop below the harness/ hip belt area
- Gusseted crotch for comfort and freedom of movement
Growing up in Canada, I'm used to cold weather, and LOVE a fleece-lined hiking pant. These CAMEL CROWN are a great combination of keeping you warm on a budget. These outdoor pants repel light rain and snow, seal out the wind, and keep you warm and comfortable for your hike. It is lined with warm fleece and offers warmth, comfort on the skin, and superior moisture-wicking properties that keep you warm in cold weather. Ideal for a variety of outdoor winter sports.
- Lined with warm fleece for a cozy feel and to keep you warm
- Water-resistance that are great when you're hiking in cold wet weather
- Features an elastic waist and 2 slant-zippered deep pockets
Best Water Resistant Hiking Pants for Women
Outdoor Research Ferrosi is made from soft and durable stretch-woven fabric. They are airy and supple against the skin but provide the perfect respite from chilling winds and withstand long days on the trail or the rock.
- Articulated knees and drawcord cuff closures,
- Harness-compatible waist and hip belt loops
- Made from soft and durable stretch-woven fabric
- Water-resistant, wind-resistant, breathable, and quick-drying,
Mountain Wearhouse Pakka Rain Pants are simple, straightforward, and highly durable and most important, waterproof. They're easy to pack and don't take up much room. I recommend always bringing a pair of rain pants when doing a multi-day hike, like our self-guided Tour du Mont Blanc.
- These are full-length pants that have wide legs
- Waterproof and durable material
- Elastic waistband
- Super packable, light, and easy to put on
- Velcro wrap around the strap for extra security
Best Budget Women’s Hiking Pants
If you’re a beginner hiker, prefer doing easy hikes or are on a budget, you don’t have to spend a fortune. However, I do recommend a higher quality pair of hiking pants if you’re doing a multi-day hike like our self-guided Tour du Mont Blanc where you want to ensure durability.
I adore a durable pair of cargo pants and these Rduruko Women's hiking pants are great at an affordable price. With 16 different colors to choose from, you can look stylish and have functional pants at the same time! The well-positioned cargo pockets give you access to smaller items you may need at any given time of your hike.
- Lots of pockets
- Sun protection with UPF 50 Protection
- Lightweight and quick dry hiking pants with elastic waistband
I love how the Prana Halle II Pant do not cling to my legs, they simply drape comfortably. The relaxed fit leaves room for unfettered movement. Made with lightweight fabric, this wrinkle-resistant pant for climbing packs up for easy traveling. My personal preference would always have to be comfortable, functional, and durable. Prana Halle II hiking pants are always an excellent choice in my book.
- Pant rolls up to the knee and fastens securely with a button and tab closure
- Zipper fly and button closure
- Four-pocket design
- Hidden zip stash pocket on the upper leg
I am a big fan of pockets on hiking pants, and these are one of the best. Toomett's Convertible cargo pants feature an externally adjustable waistband, and zip-off legs convert pants to inseam shorts that make them perfect for all adventures. These outdoor hiking pants are designed to be comfortable, and loose and have a certain amount of elasticity.
- Drawstring at waist for closure
- Quick drying
- Loose fit for comfortable big movements
- 3 zippered pockets
Cycorld Women's convertible hiking pants were recommended to me by a fellow hiker when I was hiking in Joshua Tree National Park. Ever since that trip, they, in my opinion, are the high-rise version of the best women's trekking-specific convertible hiking pants ever created. My pair of these pants are slim fit but do not restrict my mobility.
- Available in 6 different colors
- FreeDry moisture wicking
- Offered in a range of sizes from XS to XXL
BenBoy Women's Outdoor Hiking Pants are surprisinngly, a favorite pair of pants of mine. These hiking pants are made of 92% polyester and 8% spandex, which are waterproof, windproof, warm, abrasion resistant, and very comfy. This an excellent choice of hiking pants for women who love to do a range of activities.
- Reinforcements at the knees and rear offer extra protection
- Has multiple zippers to keep smaller items secure and readily accessible
- Wicks away moisture during any hiking trip
- Comes in 17 different color combinations
Women’s Hiking Pants vs Hiking Shorts vs Hiking Leggings: Which Should. You Choose?
Whether you should choose hiking pants, shorts or hiking leggings depends on the type of hike you’re doing. I love convertible hiking pants with a zipper that can easily convert into shorts. When you’re hiking in the mountains or doing long hikes, the weather can frequently change, so these provide the best of both worlds.
If you’re doing a shorter hike or hiking in an area where the weather is warm, then shorts are fine.
In addition, if you’re plus size or curvy, you may find hiking leggings are more comfortable. Unfortunately, many less-than-perfect pants don’t fit curvy women well.
Hiking pants also tend to run in a limited size range and you may have difficulty finding your size. I don’t know why manufacturers think that only thin women with no curves hike when that’s definitely not the case!
If you’re hiking in colder weather, you can wear a thin pair of hiking leggings as a base layer under your hiking pants. This works well if you don’t have a pair of lined hiking pants.
The only three considerations in my opinion why that hiking pants are a better choice than hiking leggings are:
- if you’re hiking in an area with thorns or scratchy bushes. Pants are less likely to snag and provide better protection from abrasion.
- Hiking pants tend to provide more waterproof protection than hiking leggings. But you need to check since that’s not always the case.
- I also prefer hiking pants for multi-day hikes since they’re more flexible if you buy the convertible ones without you having to carry an extra pair.