Fun Facts About Laurel Robbins, the Founder
1) The name of my site comes from two things I love most – primates (monkeys) and mountains. I have a degree in primatology and was fortunate to teach environmental education programs mainly about primates at the Calgary Zoo in Canada. I currently volunteer with primates every week in Munich. I hike in the mountains almost every weekend.
2)I am Celiac and have been gluten-free for eight years. It makes travel more challenging sometimes, but it never stops me.
3) At my high school graduation, my classmates predicted that I would own a travel agency called Mile-A-Minute Travel. Even back then I was intrigued by the idea of travel, although I hadn’t travelled much at that point. Funnily enough, I still talk fast and actually did end up opening a travel company, except that it’s called Monkeys and Mountains Adventure Travel.
4) I’ve spent almost half of my adult life living in countries other than Canada – South Korea, Thailand (twice), the United States and Germany. I’ve been living in Munich Germany for the past 7 1/2 years and counting and own a German company even though most of my clients come from North America and around the globe.
5)The Tour du Mont Blanc was my first long-distance hike, even though early and head to the mountains. Fortunately, that’s a pretty normal weekend for me. I’m a big believer in figuring out what you like to do, then actually doing it regularly.
10) My biggest adventure to-date was cycling over 1200 km solo of the Iron Curtain Trail in Finland. I thought it would be flat – it wasn’t. I was also afraid of being lonely, but to my surprise, it never happened.
11) I grew up in a small town in southern Alberta, Canada with the Canadian Rocky Mountains as a backdrop. More cows than people live there. My mom gets mad when I say that, but it’s true!
12) Nothing gets me more excited than hearing about how someone pushed through their physical limits and how it transformed another area of their life. I truly believe they’re interconnected. It’s why I’m so passionate about what I do.
13) I think Nickelback is one of the best bands on earth, plus they’re Canadian. Feel free to make fun of my musical tastes, all my friends do.
14) I need to get outdoors and in nature every single day to quiet my monkey mind. It’s common that I’ll go for a run, a bike ride and a walk all in one day!
15) I have two adorable black rescue cats that I adopted from animal shelters. I’ve named them after places I’ve loved travelling to. Fuego is named after Fuego Volcano in Guatemala and Coco after the Coco Islands in Costa Rica.
16) My most memorable travels are the ones that are about the experience. I.e. observing gorillas in Rwanda or hiking in the Dolomites. They’re not ones where you’re shuffled place to place to get the requisite photo of a ‘must-see’ site. If that sounds like you too, check out my adventure tours. I have a feeling that you’ll love them as much as I do.
For my official bio click here.
A few of the organizations where I’ve been featured: