A Summer Rodelbahn should be on every adrenalin junkie’s list to try at least once in their lives. I could have ridden it all day! I hadn’t heard of one until I moved to Germany. I hadn’t actually tried a Summer Rodelbahn until a recent trip to Nassfeld in Kärnten (Carinthia in English), Austria’s most southern state. I’m now kicking myself for waiting so long.
Basically a Summer Rodelbahn is a track built down the side of the mountain. You get into a little car and Weeeee! down the mountain you go! 2km in the case of the Rodelbahn track in the Nassfeld region located just steps from the Falkensteiner Hotel and Spa Carinzia.
When I saw just how small my ride would be, I was skeptical, would I even fit in the tiny car? And how on earth was I going to steer it down a mountain?
Thankfully I did! Steering is non-existent, since the car does it by itself, but you do have the option to go faster or slower, by pulling on a lever, so you can make the ride as scary (up to 40km/hr!) or as mellow (think old lady driver) as you want it to be. Despite my promise to myself to not use the brakes, I found myself pulling back the lever to slow down, while squealing like a scared little girl on more than one occasion. I LOVED IT! Every turn, every dip in the track had my heart pumping with excitement!
Check out the video below taken by Matthias Wieser while on the Rodelbahn – brave man, riding and filming at the same time!
One ride on the Summer Rodelbahn and I’m hooked. I could have done it all day. The most fun I’ve had in a long time. Every adrenalin junkie should try a Summer Rodelbahn at least once in their lives, but I’m betting that once won’t be enough! Have you tried it? Would you try it?
Know Before You Go to the Summer Rodelbahn in the Nassfeld:
- Stay at the Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Carinzia and receive a free +Card, meaning that you receive a free ride up the Milleniumsbahn (gondola), which is conveniently located just steps from the hotel. The Milleniumsbahn is the only practical way to get to the Summer Rodelbahn.
- The Summer Rodelbahn is for kids of all ages. Small children can ride with their parents.The Summer Rodelbahn costs 7 Euros for adults and 6 Euros for kids. A discounted rate is given if you purchase 3 rides (per person).
- Also at the top of the Milleniumsbahn is the AquaTrail, a 1 hour family friendly trail with fun activities for kids, including a water feature where kids can cool off on a hot day and a trampoline – yes seriously a trampoline on top of a mountain – very cool!
- After you’ve ridden the Summer Rodelbahn you may also want to try the Flying Fox (a zip line) and High Ropes Course, which are near the finish of the Rodelbahn (look for more details in an upcoming post)
- There are also numerous hiking trails and climbing possibilities at the top of the Milleniumsbahn, which you can easily combine with the Summer Rodelbahn for an action packed day.
- Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Carinzia is located 50 km from Villach train station, or 8 km from Hermagor train station, (transfers can be arranged for a fee) or 1 km from Tröpolach train station, free transfers upon request.
- Relax in the luxurious spa at the Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Carinzia to reward yourself for an action-packed day! Check out one of their wellness packages for a great deal.
Disclosure: I was a guest at the Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Bleibergerhof. As always, all opinions expressed are my own.