I had never heard of a rock labyrinth before visiting the Nassfeld in Kärnten (Carinthia in English), Austria’s most southern state. It was just one of several “firsts” during my stay at the modern yet natural four-star Falkensteiner Hotel and Spa Carinzia. The first being an adrenalin pumping ride down the Summer Rodelbahn, which is basically a little car that you get into and then whiz down a mountain on a small track! I had also never heard of a free loading hotel guest until I met Flo: A Seven Year Hotel Guest Who Has Never Paid. So it shouldn’t have surprised me that a rock labyrinth was also just a short ride up the Milleniumsbahn (gondola) located just steps from the Hotel and Spa Carinzia.
A rock labyrinth as I soon discovered was a path of sorts through gigantic boulders that you climbed on and over, while wearing a harness for safety. Being an avid hiker and scrambler I loved this! It soon led us to the next challenge: the Flying Fox, also known as a zip line. It wasn’t just one zip line though, it was a series of zip lines. I’ve been on my share of ziplines, but these were by far the fastest zip-lines I’ve ever been on. The padding on the landings was there for a reason! Interspersed between the zip-line were high ropes courses, where you had to navigate high in the tree tops from tree to tree a series of rope challenges. I finished the course exhausted but exhilarated!
Fortunately our next adventure was less taxing and involved visiting the nearby Schaukäserei (cheese factory in English). After my day of adventures on the Summer Rodelbahn, Rock Labyrinth, Flying Fox and High Rope Course, I was ready for the eating adventure of sampling home made cheese. It was delicious.
Although I had had an incredible day full of new adventures, I had just scratched the surface of all the adventures to be had in the Nassfeld – hiking, climbing, mountain biking…I need to go back and reward myself with one of the spa treatments at the Acquapura SPA at the Hotel and Spa Carinzia.
Know Before You Go to the Nassfeld:
- Stay at the Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Carinzia and receive a free +Card. Among other discounts, you will also receive a free ride up the Milleniumsbahn (gondola), which is conveniently located just steps from the hotel.
- The Rock Labyrinth and Flying Fox are for kids and adults of all ages. There are a variety of courses at different heights and difficulty levels.
- Admission costs 22 € for adults and 16 € for children for 3 hours. A 15% discount is available if you have the +Card, which is free for all guests of the Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Carinzia.
- If you’re looking for a day of adventure, do the Summer Rodelbahn first. It finishes near the Rock Labyrinth and the Flying Fox.
- There are also numerous hiking trails and climbing possibilities at the top of the Milleniumsbahn, which you can easily combine with the Rock Labyrinth and Flying Fox for an action packed day.
- Don’t forget to stop at the Schaukäserei for some delicious fresh cheese.
- Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Carinzia is located 50 km from Villach train station, or 8 km from Hermagor train station, (transfers can be arranged for a fee) or 1 km from Tröpolach train station, free transfers upon request.
- Relax in the luxurious spa at the Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Carinzia to reward yourself for an action packed day! Check out one of their wellness packages for a great deal.
- Check out more summer activities on the Nassfeld Tourist Information site.
Thank you to the Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Carinzia for such an adventurous, fun day. As always, all opinions expressed are my own and they didn’t force me to eat all the delicious cheese that I did.