Everything You Didn’t Know You Wanted to Know About Me
1) I grew up in a small town in southern Alberta, Canada with the Canadian Rocky Mountains as a backdrop. More cows than people live there. My mom gets mad when I say that, but it’s true!
2) At my high school graduation my classmates predicted that I would own a travel agency called Mile-A-Minute Travel because I talk fast and loved to travel, even though I hadn’t traveled much at that point. Funnily enough, I still talk fast and actually did end up opening a travel agency, except that it’s called Monkeys and Mountains Adventure Holidays.
3) I’ve spent almost half of my adult live living in countries other than Canada – South Korea, Thailand (twice), United States and Germany.
4)The Tour du Mont Blanc was my first long distance hike, even though I hike every weekend. Now, I’m addicted and have also done the Everest Base Camp trek, walked the Wicklow Way in Ireland, and hiked the West Highland Way in Scotland. Where should I go next?
5) I’ve met bears, both black and grizzly multiple times while hiking in the Rockies. I don’t get scared, but I do have a healthy respect for them and consider it a privilege to see them in their habitat.
6)While I prefer mountains any day – OK most days, over watching TV, when I do watch I’m a big fan of The Bachelor/The Bachelorette, Scandal and animal documentaries. Fortunately, there are a lot of the latter in Germany where I live.
7) I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Primatology (the study of primates) and photos and paintings of monkeys all over my house. Jane Goodall is my idol! I’ve seen her speak three times and read all her books!
8) My idea of a perfect weekend is having friends over for dinner on Friday night. On Saturday walking a dog from the animal shelter, then relaxing on my balcony with a cappuccino reading US Weekly. Then in the evening, drinking wine, and watching a wildlife documentary or playing board games with my husband. On Sunday I like to get up early and head to the mountains. Fortunately, that’s a pretty normal weekend for us.
9) My biggest adventure to-date was cycling over 1200 km solo of the Iron Curtain Trail in Finland. I thought it would be flat – it wasn’t. I was also afraid of being lonely, but to my surprise it never happened.
10) I am Celiac and have been gluten-free for 8 years. But somehow… aka my German husband, I ended up living in Germany, home to 1200 kinds of bread!
11) Nothing gets me more excited than hearing about how someone pushed through their physical limits and how it transformed another area of their life. I truly believe they’re interconnected and it’s why I’m so passionate about what I do.
12) I think Nickelback is one of the best bands on earth, plus they’re Canadian. Feel free to make fun of my musical tastes, all my friends do.
13) Despite Oktoberfest being too crowded for my liking, I own a Dirndl! Kinda a must-have when you live in Munich. That’s me 2nd from the right! ->
14) I need to get outdoors and in nature every single day to quiet my monkeymind. It’s common that I’ll go for a run, a bike ride and a walk all in one day!
15) I have 2 adorable black rescue cats that I adopted from animal shelters. They’re named after places I’ve loved travelling to. Fuego is named after Fuego Volcano in Guatemala and Coco after the Coco Islands in Costa Rica, where I went shark diving and met my husband.
16) My most memorable travels are the ones that are about the experience (i.e shark diving, hiking the Tour du Mont Blanc….) and not ones where you’re shuffled place to place to get the requisite photo of a ‘must-see’ site. If that sounds like you too, check out my adventure holidays. I have a feeling that you’ll love them as much as I do.
Now it’s your turn! Send me an email at: info (@) monkeysandmountains.com and tell me about your favourite adventures!
Go back to the About page.